By the late 1980’s, it was felt there was a need for extra space and facilities including a modern kitchen and changing rooms. The estimated cost of the extension was £120,000 and an appeal for donations was launched. The money was raised over three years and the New Hall extension was officially opened on 23rd October 1993. (Source: Allendale: Twentieth Century Memories. Nora L.Handcock)
The original Constitution of the Temperance Council stated that the hall must not be used for “the Sale or use of intoxicating drink; Music Hall purposes; Theatrical purposes; Gambling or dancing”. However, by 1934, the hall faced debts of £150, forcing the easing of covenant restrictions to allow dancing and plays. In 1945, Mr W Simpson and his sister, Constance donated a field adjacent to the hall which would later provide space for the Recreation Ground. In 1973, the hall was renamed Village Hall and, being no longer part of the Temperance League, this opened the way to requests for alcohol licences to be considered.
Allendale Village Hall began life as The Temperance Hall. After two years of fundraising and the gift of land by Mr Robert Pickering of Deneholme House, the first foundation stone was laid on Whit Monday, 15th June 1905, in front of a huge crowd. The building was constructed of local stone by local builders and craftsmen at a cost of £797 12s 9d. Six months later, the hall was officially opened on Saturday 7th October 1905.
Leadgate, Allendale, HEXHAM, Northumberland NE47 9PR
Copyright © 2019 · All Rights Reserved · Designed by Hawthorn Cottage Industry